Halloween doesn’t have to be an expensive holiday; most costumes can be found in your closet.
[follow id = “CorrinaPowell”]
Have you been consumed by studying for midterms the past two weeks? Do you still have a few more this week? Is Halloweekend creeping up on you but you simply don’t have time for costume shopping? Don’t despair — we’ll have you looking spiffy in no time with several quick-fix costume solutions.
1. Go Greek.
No, you don’t have to join a sorority or fraternity this week, just wrap yourself in a sheet and snag some gold rope. Easier said than done, I know.
What you’ll need: one solid color top sheet, a belt (rope, ribbon, leather, etc). For an added touch, fashion a headband out of the leftover belt material, or use any ivy/grape leaf garland from Beverly’s or Michael’s.
How to wrap a toga:
- Take a corner of the top sheet in one hand, leaving about six inches of fabric to spare and hold above one shoulder.
- Pull the sheet taut across your chest and tuck it under your other arm.
- Pull the sheet around your back to meet the shoulder where the other corner is being held.
- Bring the two ends together at the top of your shoulder and secure with a knot.
- Wrap the belt, rope or ribbon around your waist.
2. Cruise through the weekend with prep-free “Risky Business” attire.
Got an oversized, white dress shirt on hand? Great! If not, put the word out to a few guy friends — someone’s got to have one. For full authentication, throw on a pair of socks and stunner shades and have the time of your night, kid.
3. Enjoy a ’60s renaissance.
Do you have any tie-dyed shirts stowed in your dresser? How ‘bout a pair of denim shorts? These hippie costume items paired with aviator sunglasses and strappy sandals will have you looking groovy enough to rock Woodstock.
4. Backpedal one more decade and assume the role of Sandy or Danny.
This is a great couples costume, but you can easily rock it on your own.
Girls: black leggings/pedal pushers, fitted black shirt, hoop earrings and a handkerchief to tie around your neck. As for footwear, any kind of sneakers or pumps will work.
Guys: black leather jacket, cuffed dark jeans, white tee with cuffed sleeves and black sneakers. If your hair is long enough and time permits, give it a good greasin’ and voila.
5. Take a trip and be a tourist for the night.
What you will need: Hawaiian shirt, shorts, tennis shoes, straw hat or visor, lei/camera/binoculars, fanny pack/backpack and sunglasses. Even if you don’t own a vibrant Hawaiian shirt, someone in your friend circle definitely does. Once you’ve secured a shirt, the rest is cake.
6. If time is really of the essence, dress up as an egg.
This is probably the quickest fix of all and might just provoke a few chuckles.
What you will need: white clothing and yellow construction paper. Dress in all white and attach a circle of construction paper to your stomach. Bon appetit!
7. Another easy, yet unique solution is to dress as a Magic 8 Ball.
What you’ll need: black clothing, white paper and a sharpie. Dress in all black, and attach piece of white paper with a black ‘8’ to your stomach. If you want to bump the outfit up a notch, cut a triangle out of blue construction paper and write out one of the Magic 8 Ball’s 20 possible responses.