This recipe is a part of the series Mustang Chews and was sent in by reader Louie Bayer.
Looking for a new dish this Thanksgiving? This stuffed butternut squash is both savory and sweet.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 8 ounces of ground sausage
- 2 apples, chopped into squares
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Halve squash lengthwise and deseed.
3. Lightly oil squash and place skin down on cooking sheet.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until squash is softened.
5. While the squash is cooking, brown the sausage on medium-high heat.
6. Add in chopped apples and stir until tender.
7. Transfer to a new bowl to cool.
8. Mix in butter, pecans, brown sugar and sage. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Let squash cool then scoop it out, leaving an outer shell. Stir into mixture.
10. Stuff the squash shells with the mixture.
11. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until golden-brown on the top.
Send your favorite recipes or dishes you’d like to see to email@example.com with the subject line Mustang Chews or directly to our Facebook Messenger.