The witty green ogre with cohorts Donkey, Puss in Boots and the rest of the gang will all make a return to the big screen for “Shrek 3.” One of the most memorable series ever made by Pixar will aim for a third success – but we’ll leave all you fairy tale fans awaiting its arrival in 2007.
As for the most anticipated movies of 2006, several sequels top the charts.
“I’m extremely eager to see ‘X3’ and ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ should be a solid sequel, but Jack Sparrow shouldn’t act so drunk this time around,” said Terrance Grady, a mechanical engineering freshman.
Perhaps the top book-turned-movie of the year will be “The Da Vinci Code.”
“It was a good book and hopefully the movie is just as good,” said Danielle Sanzari, a business sophomore.
In the realm of comic books-turned-movies, “X3” will undoubtedly top the charts.
But that’s not all; here’s the Daily’s top picks:
5. “The Da Vinci Code” (May 19) – The major motion picture version of a national bestselling novel will star Tom Hanks, Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou.
4. “V for Vendetta” (March 17) – A futuristic vision of a totalitarian Britain is unacceptable to the man only known as “V.” With a revenge on his mind, “V” sets off a revolution by destroying a pair of London landmarks and calling for change via the government-controlled airwaves. This flick will star Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving and Stephen Rea.
3. “Superman Returns” (June 30) – It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Superman – again! In this movie, Superman returns to Earth, faces an evil foe who intends to take him out for good, does the love thing with Lois Lane and ends up saving the world. It’s been seen before, but it’s Superman! And everybody loves Superman, so this one is a must-see. Plus, Kate Bosworth’s in it along with cast mates Brandon Routh, James Marsden and Frank Langella.
2. “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” (July 6) – The Black Pearl belongs to Capt. Jack Sparrow once more, but a blood debt throws Sparrow into another adventurous quest – this time to save his own life.
Of course, the sequel wouldn’t be a hit without stars Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.
1. “X3” (May 26) – The rivalry between Magneto and Xavier heats up as battle lines are drawn after a treatment for mutants is discovered. Not much is out about the movie just yet, but it looks to be the most anticipated movie of 2006. Stars include Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Ian McKellen, Famke Janssen, Anna Paquin and Kelsey Grammer.