Cal Poly is looking to add a physician to the team at Campus Health and Wellbeing with an emphasis on reproductive health.

Campus Health and Wellbeing previously had a doctor with specialization in gynecology, but the position has been vacant since this summer. The health center’s nurse practitioners and physician’s assistants are able to provide these services to students while the university searches for a full-time doctor, according to University Spokesperson Matt Lazier.

The university does not plan to include obstetrics in its Health Center offerings for students, Lazier said. Students seeking these services are referred to specialists in the community. 

A gynecologist is a doctor who specializes in women’s reproductive health, according to WebMD. Physicians who specialize in obstetrics care for women during their pregnancy and just after a baby is born.

According to Lazier, the Health Center hopes to fill the position by the start of Winter 2020.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article online and in the Nov. 19 Mustang News print edition has been updated to include more information about current Campus Health and Wellbeing offerings and differentiate between obstetrics and gynecology. 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *