University Police arrested a Cal Poly freshman for setting fire to a microwave in The Park dining establishment located in the Dexter Building.
“It appears that two or more people intentionally put combustible materials into the microwave and set it to catch fire,” University Police Chief Bill Watton said.
Travis Moore, an electrical engineering freshman, was taken to San Luis Obispo County Jail and was booked on charges of arson and manufacturing an incendiary device.
Moore was apparently with several people in the vending and seating area around 3 a.m. Sunday and placed paper materials – an advertising display card from one of the tables and some napkins – into the microwave, police said.
The microwave and the condiment stand it sat on were damaged, and the building sustained smoke damage. Watton estimated the total damages could cost up to $2,000.
Watton said the arson is still under investigation and that they are looking for another person from out of town whom the suspect was involved.
Moore’s bail is set at $250,000.