Cal Poly greek life’s annual Greek Awards night on Tuesday recognized chapters and individuals’ achievements during the 2014-2015 school year.
Liberal arts and engineering studies junior and Interfraternity Council Vice President of Recruitment Kevin Gong was named Fraternity Man of the Year.
“The real man of the year, however, goes out to those unrecognized brothers who put out countless hours to try to do something to better the community and asked nothing in return, the guys that really worked to help the people around them each and every day,” Gong said.
Every year, Greek Awards Night takes place to award both individuals and entire chapters for their accomplishments. This year, there was a focus on how well chapters were able to fulfill the requirements of the Standards of Excellence, according to Coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life Kathryn O’Hagan.
“It was a great time to recognize some of the amazing stuff that we do as greeks,” Gong said. “It’s really helpful for us to take some time and really reflect all of the powerful things we can do as individuals and also how to unite a community.”
Nominations went through an online application process. Chapter nominations focused on the established Standards of Excellence, while individual nominations were based on essay submissions.
A selection committee made up of staff reviewed the applications and decided the winners of each award, according to Kathryn O’Hagan.
“I think it went really well. I think everybody had a really good time,” O’Hagan said. “Those awards really are coveted and it’s a really good chance to get together once last time before the end of the quarter to celebrate one another.”
According to O’Hagan, close to 80 to 90 people attended.
Below are the winners of every award given on Tuesday.
- Outstanding Risk Management: Delta Chi
- Alumni Relations Award: Delta Chi
- Innovation in New Member Education: Kappa Alpha Theta
- Outstanding Community Service: Lambda Theta Phi
- Outstanding Philanthropy: Alpha Chi Omega
- Best Contribution to Cal Poly: Gamma Phi Beta
- Academic Achievement Award: Kappa Alpha Theta
- Chapter of the Year: Sigma Nu
- IFC Chapter President of the Year: Karim Dudum, Phi Sigma Kappa
- Panhellenic Chapter President of the Year: Hannah Heitzig, Kappa Kappa Gamma
- USFC Outstanding New Member: Ricardo Lopez Borrayo, Lambda Theta Phi
- IFC Outstanding New Member: Leor Rozen, Alpha Epsilon Pi
- Panhellenic Outstanding New Member: Casey Garrett, Chi Omega
- Panhellenic Outstanding Greek Senior: Kristina Bishard, Gamma Phi Beta
- Advisor of the Year: Chelsea Franza, Gamma Phi Beta
- Outstanding Council Member: Megan Minahan, Kappa Kappa Gamma
- Fraternity Man of the Year: Kevin Gong, Phi Kappa Psi
- Sorority Woman of the Year: Cate Fisher, Gamma Phi Beta
A previous version of this article listed Lambda Theta Phi as Lamba Theta Phi. That error has been corrected.